Saturday, February 21, 2009

CalDAV RFC 4791 helps sync all your calendars (ical and gcal)

Back in the Oracle days, my boss was very active in the collaboration RFC business. ICalendar, VCard revisions to later become co-author of the CalDAV Request For Comment. Working on the Oracle Calendar SDK and server, I became quite familiar with those protocols and can appreciate the complexity involved in making this happen. I think I had(was kindly asked ;) to read and give feedback on the CalDAV RFC Drafts 1000 times, while Bern was writing it. One could not imagine the amount of work and perfectionism involved in writing an internet protocol.

This morning I was pretty satisfied when I installed this neat calaboration google app to import my google calendar in macbook pro calendar(iCal) to create a meeting in iCal, modify it in Google and see all this 2 seconds later in iCal on my macbook, iCal on my iPhone and my Google calendar. Now the real strength and objective of CalDAV is to collaborate between 3rd party collaboration applications, lets see how that goes..

No comments: