Thursday, October 09, 2008

The Beehive I once belonged too





''Oracle Beehive delivers the only complete and open platform for secure communications and integrated collaboration. Oracle Beehive provides a complete range of collaboration services including conferencing, instant messaging, email, calendar, and team workspaces that can be deployed either on premise or through Oracle On Demand. Its cross-platform, open standards based architecture supports familiar clients like Microsoft Outlook and can coexist with Microsoft Exchange and Lotus Notes. Oracle Beehive delivers the next generation of collaboration through an integrated user experience and unified administration that leverages the enterprise capabilities built into Oracle Fusion Middleware, Oracle Database, and Oracle Applications.''



Before I came down to France I spent 3 and 1/2 years at Oracle and most of it working on an R&D project called Beehive. My surroundings during that experience were truly some of the best professionals there are. An amazing little Time management company from Montreal called Steltor founded by Montreal locals and former McGill graduates Peter Egyed and Andre Courtemanche that was later bought by Oracle. That little family environment from Steltor survived inside that huge Oracle Corporation and part of the Beehive project. I had to leave the team to pursue some personal objectives I had set for myself and it was really the hardest and awkwardness professional move I had to do. Today I look at this product that I work hard developing and feel nostalgic I couldn't stick till the end but I am very proud to have been part of it. Having experienced Lotus Notes 8 for the past year I must tell I truly believe Beehive can get down there and get some good market share from IBM and Microsoft Exchange. Being open to protocols such as CaldaV co-authored by my manager :) it has a huge advantage on competitors. Looking at my Oracle stocks today I'm not missing the stock options I had to forgo as much as I used too ... I wish Success to Beehive and Oracle.

You can look at the demo here

1 comment:

Hoahoo said...

Check out the Beehive Bus :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nadiamercer/2877726508/